Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Five years ago...

It was a Tuesday. I had spent the entire day teaching and felt so special as the sweet ladies I worked with threw a shower to celebrate the coming additions of 4 new babies to our staff. We hung out, enjoyed conversation and snacked on cake and other treats.

In my mind, I still had 5 weeks to prepare. The nursery was under construction and we still had to organize all of the gear that a new baby  necessitates, but I wasn't stressed out by anything yet since I still had so much time. I was totally oblivious to just how soon I would be welcoming our new baby.

That night, I was woken at 1 am when my water broke, and to the shock of EVERYONE, our sweet baby boy was born 15 hours later.

Sweet A, I can NOT believe you are five years old. That is no longer a toddler or even a little kid. That is full kid status. When I look at you, I can barely remember the chubby big baby that stole my heart five years ago. Now, you move at the speed of light on your scooter or climb fences with ease.

I love your curiosity. You ask so many questions, and though it can be exhausting, I love that you have already gained so much knowledge in your little life. You want to know the truth, and you love to share what you know with anyone that will listen.

I love the sweet heart that you have. You know how things are supposed to be and you want to fix them when they are not the right way. Because of that, you pray often for God to help people that don't have food or kids that don't have mommies and daddies. You know it's not how it should be and you want so desperately to make it right.

And above all, I LOVE that you are the perfect mix of big kid and little boy. You soar around the house in your superhero cape, but you'll still cuddle up on my lap to read for hours. You'll play tackle football and wrestle your friends to the ground, but you still won't go to bed with out a hug from your mommy.

Happy Birthday!

No comments: