Friday, January 24, 2014

Another Cold Week

When we decided to homeschool, one of the questions we had to figure out was what to do about snow days. I decided we'd go by our feeder school district. If our district was off, we'd be off. Of course, I made that decision BEFORE I knew this was going to be such a cold, snowy winter.

We took off Monday for MLK day and spent the morning playing with friends from A's school last year. It was great to catch up with such fun friends. The time went really quickly. The kids had fun playing hard. The moms had fun chatting over coffee :)

When our district took a snow day on Tuesday, though, I decided we had had enough snow days and if we were going to be stuck inside for the day, we needed some structure! So we may have been the only kids in the city that had school on Tuesday. :)

This week, in honor of MLK Day, we read library books about famous African-Americans. The kids could sit and listen to books for a long time, but this time I wanted to turn the books into a project. As we read, the kids had to pick three facts about each person and take notes. Then I showed them how to make a Power Point project to show what they had learned.

With very little assistance, the boys typed their notes into PowerPoint, Google searched for pictures, copied and pasted pictures onto the slides and added transitions. It was a very time-consuming project, but the kids did a great job and had a lot of fun with it! The final project turned out great! I couldn't post it with all of the transitions, but you can get a good idea from this video version. Enjoy!

*Please note: there is no works cited, but all of this information is accredited to library books. My kids are 5 and 6. We will work on citing our work when they get a little older :)

No comments: